Thursday, 16 August 2012

Official - Maruti's Manesar plant to reopen on 21st August 2012




Maruti Suzuki confirmed that the plant would become operational again on 21st August 2012, Tuesday. This would be exactly a month after which the company decided to lock out the plant on 21st July 2012 after the brutual killing of senior HR professional on 18th July 2012.

Addressing the media, Mr. RC Bhargava said that all the 96 people who had been injured in the violence that took place, have now been discharged from the hospital and some of them have joined work. 

Asked about the progress of investigation into the incident of violence, Bhargava said that it will continue and more arrests may be made soon. Five hundred permanent workers were fired based on initial investigations, he added. 

The shutdown of the factory, which made about 1,700 cars a day before the unrest, is costing the company tens of millions of dollars. The company had declared a lockout at the Manesar plant on July 21 following violence and arson in which one senior executive was killed and 100 others were injured. 

MSI had said the safety and well-being of its employees were paramount. 

The Haryana government had announced formation of a special investigation team (SIT) headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Ravinder Tomar with six inspectors to probe the incident. 

On August 1, the police had arrested 10 office bearers of the Maruti Suzuki Workers' Union, including its President Ram Meher and General Secretary Sarabjit Singh, taking the total number of workers arrested to 114 in relation to the incident.

0 comments:

Post a comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More